What or who is a PCBU?

A ‘person conducting a business or undertaking’ (PCBU) is a legal term under WHS laws for individuals, businesses or organisations that are conducting business. A person who performs work for a PCBU is considered a worker.

Types of PCBUs can include:

public and private companies
partners in a partnership
sole traders and self employed people
government departments and authorities
associations if they have one or more employees
local government councils
independent schools
As a PCBU you must meet your obligations, so far as is reasonably practicable, to ensure the health and safety of workers and other people like visitors and volunteers.

These obligations include:

safe systems of work
safe use of plant, structures and substances
adequate facilities for the welfare of workers
notification and recording of workplace incidents
adequate information, training, instruction and supervision
compliance with requirements under the Work Health and Safety Regulation
effective systems for monitoring the health of workers and workplace conditions
a safe work environment
maintain the premises used for accommodation for workers, if required
A PCBU has further obligations if involved in specific kinds of activities like:

the management and control of workplaces, or fixtures, fittings or plant at workplaces
the design, manufacture, import or supply of plant, substances or structures
installation, construction or commissioning of plant or structures.
PCBUs must also have meaningful and open consultation about work health and safety with workers, health and safety representatives, and health and safety committees.

As a PCBU you must also consult, cooperate and coordinate with other PCBUs if you share duties.

Comments for this post are closed.